Living in Singapore
A vibrant cosmopolitan city in the heart of Southeast Asia, Singapore offers a great environment to students looking for a multi-cultural study experience abroad. In addition to being famous in the continent for its excellent education system, this city is also home to a thriving business environment.
Here are some key facts you need to know about Singapore –
- Singapore is home to an excellent local, national and international transport system with connection to over 150 countries around the world.
- This multicultural society is home to one of the best education systems in the world.
- With a chance to be backed by large investments, the city is home to an entrepreneurial culture and thrives on innovation.
- Every year, about 90,000 international students arrive into the city making for about 18% of the student population in Singapore.
- Singapore is ranked Number 1 in the World’s Most Comprehensive Education Rankings according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.
- Crime rates in Singapore are among the lowest in the world and it is also one of the cleanest countries in the world.
- Singapore is considered to be among the fastest growing economies in the Asia-Pacific.
- This city is often among the top rated places in Asia for living and working.
- With over 7,000 MNCs having offices here, the city acts as a critical business hub.
Singapore has tropical climate. All through the year it is hot and humid with an average temperature of 31 degree Celsius. Sunshine is the norm, with occasional showers, especially during the year-end.
Cost of living in Singapore
The living cost in Singapore is estimated to be Minimum S$850 per month.
|Meals||$200 - $300|
|Travel Expenses on Public Transport||$100|
|TOTAL PER MONTH||$850|
|TOTAL PER YEAR||$10,200|
Note: Please note that the living costs above are an estimate and serve as a guide only. Living costs will depend on type of accommodation chosen, lifestyle needs etc and vary from person to person.
Singapore’s Mass Rapid Transport (MRT) system is probably the fastest and most economical way to travel in Singapore. The super-efficient and clean trains span a vast network connecting every part of city.
Singapore has an excellent public transport system comprising of the SBS Transit and SMRT. Riding a bus is an affordable way of getting around the city. Most buses are air-conditioned, and an extensive network connects all parts of the city.
Singapore is home to more than 40,000 taxies and they are available round the clock on streets or at designated taxi stands at most hotels, malls and public areas.
Currently, all accommodation for international students is situated off-campus. A wide range of options are available throughout Singapore, ranging from private rental flats and apartments, to hostels depending on your personal budget.
International students should make the accommodation arrangement before they leave the homeland. Students may approach MAGES for assistance.
Some of the known hostels in Singapore close to MAGES Campus are:
Oak Tree @ Mattar Rd
9 Mattar road
Nearest MRT: Aljunied& MacPherson
Tel: (65) 6280 1980
Distance from MAGES – 9.4km
Rates: $850 to $1000 per month / per person, depending upon the stay duration of stay.
Oak Tree @ Owen Rd
96 Owen Road
Nearest MRT: Farrer Park
Tel: 8666 3960 /9749 0912
Distance from MAGES – 9.4km
Rates: $800 to $1020 per month / per person, depending upon the stay duration of stay.
Park 22 Hotel
22 Teck Lim Road
Nearest MRT: Outram Park Station
Tel: 6225 5565 / 6225 8035
Distance from MAGES – 3.7km
Rates: $1830 to $2700 per month / per person, depending upon the stay duration of stay.